Friday, August 28, 2009

"Capt.Cosmo"

Fyi "Capt. Cosmo" is Amber Havens. I created a blog this summer and google automatically pulled in my nom de plume when I signed up for the MC 7005 blog.  Please visit my Electr-o-pura blog!

I use a nom de plume because in professional life I work within a pretty restrictive political climate. It is not kosher for me to freely express my personal opinions and interests on a media that is accessible by the public. Do you agree... or think that we live in a free society, therfore I should not have a fear of "punishment" for what I do outside of work?    

2 comments:

  1. FYI: This blog is accessible to the public. It is not, however, searchable, so it seems quite unlikely anyone but us will ever look at it. It is possible to make it readable only by the authors (people in the class). However, I wanted you to be able to send links to fellow students not enrolled should the desire arise. Do you think this openness will have a chilling effect on people's willingness to comment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the openness might have a chilling effect on the content on one's comments, self-censorship. I think people will still be willing to comment, but possibly not willing to say what they really think. I agree one should feel free to post whatever they feel like without fear of professional "punishment", but unfortunately that is rarely how our society works.

    ReplyDelete